Saturday, April 25, 2015

My Record Collection and the Guitar Licks it Inspired

Recently we had another record store day. That got me thinking about my Vinyl collection. I have been meaning to catalogue it for some time and was going to set up a blog to do that. I thought it may be even cooler to post a record and then a guitar lick inspired by each record. That way I get more regular guitar licks on the site and get to share my vinyl collection too. I have a pretty eclectic collection so be prepared for some odd records and probably odder guitar licks. If you see a record you dig let me know and I can post another guitar tab inspired by it. I'd love to hear from you if you come up with guitar licks inspired by the records posted too. Please let me know if you do.

Just a few points the records will be in no particular order. I recently had a flood and now all my records are sitting next to me in my jam room so I'll literally pick up each one in the pile as they come. If the piece is on Spotify I'll try to include a link so you can reference the music I am talking about. My inspiration may be from a particular song, technique, guitarist, title or even cover art. Remember the great album covers pre CD?

If you think this idea is interesting please comment, share or tweet this. I appreciate the feedback and knowing people have some interest makes creating content more enjoyable.

So first album in the pile is?  Eric Clapton "Just one Night". This album was recorded live at the famous Budokan Theatre in Toyko in December of 1979 and released in 1980. I choose to listen to the song "Worried Life Blues". Clapton's version had a very BB King style sound to me. I tabbed out a guitar lick that would work over the turnaround. Please note I'm tuned down a half step if you want to play along with my video. Here is the song:

Worried Life Blues



And here is the guitar tab for my lick: